Saturday, December 5, 2015



POWER TO THE PEOPLE

I will be reading the book Beloved, by Toni Morrison, through the Marxists lens. This means that I will focus on the different socio economic classes present in Toni Morrison’s novel; therefore,  I will be identifying and analyzing the relationship between these different social classes. I decided to do the Marxist lens as I found myself very intrigued by this particular lens. In school, especially History class, I was able to learn about the different social and/ or economic class (triangles) that are present in today’s world and that have taken place throughout history. I have learned of the harmful and in some cases beneficial effects that these socio economic classes have had on society and the overall country. Thus, reading Beloved through a Marxist approach, will allow me to gather a deeper understanding of the socio economic classes that took place in America during this particular time period. This will also enable me to gather an understanding what it was like and what it meant to live in a country that has different social classes. I myself believe that everyone is equal despite their social, economic, and political status; therefore, in no cases should they ever be considered inferior or superior than one another. For this reason, I am further interested in this lens as I can relate it to my life. I in past situations have been regarded as less and higher than another group or person based on my social and economic status, and so would be able to connect with the characters of the novel to a certain level. As a result, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of the social classes present in the novel, their roles, and relationships with one another so that I may develop a new outlook on society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment